The Ft. Myers station was created when Fidel Castro gained
control over Cuba about 1958 or 1959. It became the unnofficial
training center (before NTTF) for several people including the
deputy station directors. When the Orbiting Solar Observatory
(OSO) program started the station was prime for that spacecraft.
Tests were conducted using an OSO simulator spacecraft with
all the onboard telemetry systems to check for interference
problems. The spacecraft simulator was flown over the station
with a helicopter to simulate an actual pass.
The station was closed in 1972 and it's equipment relocated
to Merritt Island, Florida.